Friday, June 20, 2008

Exercise 2.2.5 the end of LIN8016-reflections into the future

Make a plan for using and managing your Web site in your classroom or online community. Share your plan with the class.

During this course I have become confident enough to start publishing on the web which is a good feeling to have finally started after being a user of other people’s material for so long. Now I can use an html editor and I have published my website and the URL of the homepage is http://1english1.googlepages.com/home I also have started a blog which you can find at http://1english1.blogspot.com/

My plan for managing these two sites involves first learning a little more HTML at so of the sites I researched in the beginning of this course. After that I will add more content and pages because I want to tailor the site to my students’ needs. This will involve adding more links to the resources page and making more lesson plans for teachers to use. I would also like to add a commercial element to the site in the future with resources like e-books and e-workbooks for students and teachers to purchase and perhaps the ability to conduct synchronous web based teaching using CMC technologies like SKYPE. However I may eventually need to find another website host apart from GOOGLE and pay for my hosting.

I will keep publishing my thoughts in my blog and also use it for my students needs encouraging them to contribute and also give feed back on the site and blog.

Finally for the rest of this year I am going to finish a vocational course I am studying at TAFE called “Facilitate e-learning”, which will give me practical experience using the TAFE learning content management system (LCMS) called “Resource bank” and the learning management system (LMS) called my.tafe. By the end of the year I hope to be quite competent as an e-learning facilitator and teacher of ESL.

Lastly are my reflections on the course LIN8016 Internet Based Language Instruction at the University of Southern Queensland. This is my second course with DR Jeong-Bae Son the first being Computer Assisted Language Learning LIN8006. I would recommend both of these courses to my colleagues as being good for learning about using new technologies to teach and hopefully accelerate the process of second language acquisition.

James Warren: Language Literacy and Numeracy Teacher in English as a Second Language, Metropolitan South Institute of TAFE, Brisbane Queensland, Australia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home